Strategy, implementation, and optimizations with the goal that Soudal's local marketers can work completely independently.
All info available in a few clicks
The biggest challenge lies in the 3-dimensional complexity of exposing the right product information to multiple countries, in multiple languages to multiple audiences (DIY vs Pro). Not to forget that Soudal has over 12.000 products that are managed in a central Product Information Management System (PIM) with a lot of multimedia content like pictures, video tutorials, manuals...
In recent years, Soudal has grown exponentially - both in terms of product offering and markets served. It had become a tremendous challenge to keep providing relevant information online in different languages. As Soudal's business is organized around customer service excellence, it wanted to find a way to cover its challenges, including:
- over 12.000 product variations, with different info for each audience,
- websites in more than 10 languages, in more than 20 countries,
- a different offering for professionals and DIY customers,
- more than 100.000 website sessions per month,
- 13 different domains.
Soudal needs to plan and release new markets in a deterministic way. At all times, the websites need to be available, up to date with the latest products, secure, and upscalable with new features and markets. The technology choices must be well-considered, sustainable, scalable, and future-proof. Initially, the migration of product data via the PDS to the website took several hours daily.
PIM VS PDS
While a Product Information Management System (PIM) is basically about how to collect, enrich, store and publish product information within a given organization, a Product Data Syndication System (PDS) is about how to share product information between manufacturers, merchants, and marketplaces. Soudal is using a PDS to expose all its products to its sales and distribution channels.
The solution for Soudal
A powerful platform that supports the “multi-multi-multi” needs of Soudal: multiple markets and each market can have its own domain with multiple languages (e.g. Belgium) and multiple audiences (DIY and Pro).
A custom-built middleware to do the heavy lifting on the migration to:
- extract and transform data from the PDS.
- make sure the data is consistent.
- make it available for the website to import once and for daily updates.
It doesn’t only require powerful technology. Well-defined governance and collaboration are key:
- Create checklists, procedures, and good practices documentation to release new markets.
- Work together as one team (Soudal and Dropsolid) and brainstorm, discuss, and plan the product and maintenance roadmap, scaling, and new functionalities.
- Continuous follow-up and optimizations, technically and content-wise to improve performance and SEO.
Soudal Group is Europe’s leading independent manufacturer of sealants, adhesives and PU foams. The family-owned business caters to construction professionals, retail clients and industrial assembly companies. The company sells over 12.000 different products, which are sold across 138 countries worldwide.